Hi, Devon and fellow listmembers

I just tuned into this thread.  I joined Arachne sometime during its first
year.  I remember when someone downloaded the membership list from 'the major',
and found we had reached a membership of 400!  Most impressive, at the time.
For a number of years, a member made anniversary bobbins and shuttles.
Eventually it became too much of a burden and someone arranged for a bobbin
maker not on the list (different one each year) to do the job.

As the century close approached, we discussed doing a millenium lace exhibit.
It never got going.  But Arachne '98 did.  That was a face-to-face convention
that Pat Hallam and Margaret (I'm blanking on her last name) were willing to
put together.  We met at the U of Nottingham, had classes (like IOLI
convention), a few vendors (different ones each evening), a tour of lace
activity in the city (a remember the machine-knitted lace factory very well),
and nightly raffles.  Another thing we did was try to raise funds for Luton
museum to refurbish their famous Lace Dealer's Pattern Book.  We held a raffle
among ourselves.  As I remember, they didn't need our contribution by the time
we'd put it all together and I don't remember what the money went to.  Maybe
just a donation to the museum?  Someone else may chime in on this.

We discussed whether we should be called arachnids (I absolutely refuse to be
thought of as a spider!!!!!!), or arachneans.  There was also a thread back
then about how many of us were in science or math, although I don't remember
gaming or coding coming up much.

Back then I was a constant contributor to the discussions.  But life has gotten
too hectic lately--I admit I often delete many of the Arachne messages and I
rarely talk on the list any more, but thought I should put my 2 cents in on
this one.  I feel like an old fogey sitting in my rocking chair reminiscing
about the "good old days" and chewing my gums.

Robin P.
Los Angeles, California, USA
robinl...@socal.rr.com

Parvum leve mentes capiunt
(Little things amuse little minds)

---- DevonThein <devonth...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was at an Arachne gathering at the Salt Lake City IOLI Convention and I
realized that many of the  younger members were computer gamers and some of
the older members seem to have been part of the Dungeons and Dragons crowd.