Vis a vis the catalog for Lace, not Lace. I am including Veronika
Irvine in the show, and her interesting mathematically derived 21st
century grounds. However, as I was scrutinizing Pierre Fouche’s work,
Judgment of Paris II, which is also in the show, I realized, with his
help, that the ground in the background of the piece is one that was
invented by Ulrike Voelcker. Apparently, Ulrike taught a class in the
1990s where people designed new grounds. Simultaneously, Uta Ulrich
was designing new grounds that later were published in Grunde mit
System.

This falls into the category of something I never thought about
before. For some reason, I have always thought that most grounds had
been developed in historical laces and were just being collected by
later ground books. Was ground designing a late 20th century practice
that was being done mostly in Germany? Were other people in other
countries making up grounds? Did Cook and Stott make up grounds for
their book? Do these ground differ in some way from historical
grounds?

Devon