Dear Jean,
This sounds fascinating. I would love to know how she worked with one
hand for bobbins and one for pins. I wonder if it depends on the shape
of the pillow. As someone commented, she is just rolling them around
as they are suspended in air. I learned on a roller pillow with a flat
apron, using European bulbed bobbins, from Gunvor Jorgensen who
learned as part of the Tonder lace revival in the twenties and the
1920s and 1930s. She used to say, "try to use your thumbs as little as
possible" and she would demonstrate how, ideally, you would hold the
bobbins only between your fingers. I was never really able to master
this to the level that she was hoping for. I am unsure why this was
recommended by her. Maybe it was a speed issue. Or maybe it was an
orthopedic issue. Or maybe it was even a tension issue. You were
supposed to give a gentle tug to the bobbin every time you picked it
up between your non-thumb fingers. I wish I had asked her.  But, I was
a high school student at the time, and I had been carefully trained to
master material and not ask questions. I feel certain, though, that
this was part of the instruction that she received in Tonder from
Ingaborg Rasmussen. Over the years when I observed her teaching other
people, it seemed to me that she was no longer emphasizing certain
things that she had emphasized with me. So, perhaps her teaching
changed as she evaluated what was important to the US student. For
instance, speed wasn't that important to hobbiests.
If only we could go back in time and see how lacemakers worked in the past.
Devon