Cilaos is on the Réunion Island, a French Departement

It is a form of very elaborate cutwork, and the centre where it is still
made (and sold at astronomic prices) is known as the 'Maison de la
Broderie' or Embroidery House.  Although a lot of Madagascar embroidery is
sold in the Reunion, I didn't see anything vaguely resembling 'les jours de
Cilaos' in Madagascar - but I didn't travel around a lot.

Here is a link to a site which gives basic instructions; it's in French,
but even without a translation the photos give an idea of how it's made.

When I went to Cilaos, in the pelting rain after a long hike, the Centre
was just shutting down for the day, so I didn't get to see the work being
done, just to buy the wine Cilaos is also known for (not worth the walk, we
poured half the bottle away) and lentils, which are better than the wine.

Sue in the Rhone valley (France)