Alison
I don't have a video link for you but I do have diagrams on my website that
show what to do.
http://lynxlace.com/learningbobbinlace-basics.html#sewings
In this next one, about half way down begins another description of sewings.
And about 90% down the file is a description of false plaits. These are
explained in sequential diagrams.
http://lynxlace.com/learningbobbinlace-tapelacemat.html

You describe difficulties manipulating the crochet hook. The issue may be
the size of the hook. It has to be large enough to grab the whole thread,
without piercing the thread. But it needs to be small enough to get it
through the loop or hole where the sewing will be made.
Lorelei