Hello all,

I completely agree Alex! I start my students with Torchon but if the struggle
with the steps I have them do some braiding first.

My goal as an instructor is primarily to get students excited about lace and to
understand what they are doing so they can go off into the world and make lace
on their own. And it works! A few people discover that lace is not for them,
but many students send me pictures of their work later on and some even join
our guild.

Because my main introduction to lace was a four month trip researching
lacemaking on a grant across Europe, I have picked up various tricks along the
way and combined them to make my own style. I warn my students that if they
take another class down the line with a more traditional instructor they might
be told their methods are “wrong.” Of course the reality is that there are
many, many ways to make lace lace, and as long as the final result is beautiful
it doesn’t matter how you get there.

In fact, this was the principal lesson we learned recently in South African
lace artist Pierre Fouché’s workshop. He combines Flemish lace and point ground
lace in his work and even uses macrame knots to secure his stitches. Of course
his style is contemporary and not traditional, but the results are incredibly
beautiful. It was very liberating to learn about his methods.

I’d love to hear what some other students in Pierre’s class thought about it
and how you think it will impact your own approach to lacemaking? What were the
highlights for you? I’m sure the Arachnids who couldn’t attend would be glad to
hear about it.

All the Best,
Elena