Thank you, Nancy, your explanation was very useful.
I learned this kind of lace collecting *mantillas* and being a young family
member of an active professional embroiderer. *Mantillas* were made in
bobbin lace and later, when the manufacture had to speed up, they were
embroidered on machine tulle. Then you have the manual embroidered
mantillas (which some people in the south of Spain call them "de
chantilly") and the machine embroidered (called "granadinas" because they
were made in Granada, but we have not to forget the ones made in the area
of Barcelona, but not so well known). In the late 50s and in the 60s in the
schools girls had to embroider their own round or triangular *mantillas* to
go to church. I got such one in my collection.
Maria Greil