Dear Fellow lacemakers and teachers

I am planning  how to return to teaching my lace class.  Our venue is reopening in September with cleaning and social distancing regulations all in place. I assume we will all have to be wearing masks. I know I have to come up with my own risk assessment plan. So far so good but my experience of teaching our skill is that it is extremely hard to avoid close contact. Whilst the student could stand up and move away if necessary, I would normally be handling their bobbins quite a bit. (How risky is this?) And they can't see what I am doing if they are standing too far away.

Of course as the average age of the students in my class is over 70 there is a chance that only a few of them will want to continue for now, but I'd like to give it a go.

What are your views on the feasibility of returning to normal teaching?

Another option is class by Zoom.  Have you any opinions on the success of this?  Again, without correcting work on the pillow, how useful is this tuition?  Many of my students see this (undoing of their mistakes) as the teacher's role (no matter how hard I try to tell them that practise makes perfect...)

Have any of you returned to teaching in class? Do please share your experiences of how Covid has changed your practices.

Rosemary Brown

Southwick, West Sussex UK