On 12/5/2020 6:30 PM, H M Clarke wrote:

You might as well choose someone associated with lacemaking and call them a
god(dess).

Knitters have three goodesses: Mary Thomas, Elizabeth Zimmerman, and Barbara Walker.

Barbara Walker introduced her "The Spider" design

Drat. Another good post ruined by a little research. I thought that she'd called Arachne a goddess of knitting, but when I looked up the exact quote, it was "the great-grandmother of all the world's spinners and weavers".

I made two splendid aran sweaters featuring that
design.  One could work it up in fingering yarn and
put knitted lace around the bottom to make a list- appropriate sweater.

--
Joy Beeson
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/