Many, many thanks to everyone who took part in the discussion. My main
concern when I wrote the mail was that my ideas were totally vague and
would just upset some people for no real purpose. That is why I
hesitated before clicking the send button.

I think I did upset Kumara, and I apologize. I had absolutely no
intention to insult you (or anyone else for that matter), and I regret
that I ruined your day. I didn't have you in mind when I used the term
"grammar Nazi", the exchange between you and Marcin just reminded me of
what I perceived as an underlying problem.

In spite of my initial worries, I did click the send button and sent the
mail to the list, and I'm glad I did. Now I have some ideas to sort out,
and I will get back to you all when I have the time.