Ok, I cc it to lartc as it can be of general interest.
ffz is Find First Zero. So that it is index of first LSB
zero. In ffs indexes starts with 1 in ffz with 0.
It can be used to do some action for each zero (or one)
bit in integer.
The simplest code do do f() for each zero bit in x is:
unsigned int x,m=1,i=0;
for(;m < 0x80000000; m <<= 1,i++)
        if ((m & x) == 0) f(i)

The code above will take about 32*4 x86 instructions
(and,jz,shl,jnc). There is possibility to write this in
paralel fashion but GCC will not do it. In direct implementation
of code there is little ILP (only jz+shl) so that is will
take at least 128 CPU cycles (not counting f).

When there is not many zeros in x the code above will
be ineffecient. Let's rewrite it:
while (x != 0xffffffff) {
        int i = ffz(x);
        f(i);
}
Whis will take 7 instructions (cmp,jz,ffz,mov,shl,or,jmp)
where mov, shl and or can be interleaved with f() and thus
they latency can be hidden. But even i 7 inst case we have
complexity n*7 where n is zero-population of x. Because
there is often one or two zero bits in x we have complexity
at most 14 cycles. Compare it with 128.
devik