Hello,

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Calvin Dodge wrote:

> Two of the modems _do_ have private IP addresses (192.168.x.1) - could
> that be confusing the kernel? If so, do I need to get public IP
> addresses for those modems?

        AFAIK, there is not flag "public" for the IP addresses in
Linux, at least, not in IPv4. The kernel does not know anything
about private/reserved IP ranges.

> Do I HAVE to create a patched kernel (ala Anastasov)?

        May be not. But you can try to understand the settings
provided in the docs. The essential thing to understand is how
the ip rules and routes are ordered, how the NAT uses the
routing, why the NAT in plain kernels sometimes breaks with
multipath routes, what kind of nexthops the kernel can live
with, can you live without dead gateway detection, if not, how
it works (in kernel? help from user space?), etc.

> May I post the script I used to try this out?

        Or if possible to provide reference to it after the 5th
reading of all docs :)

> Thanks, folks!
>
> Calvin Dodge
> Certified Linux Bigot (tm)