Hi Stef!

> > I'll let HTB to automatically compute the values for 'burst' and
> > 'cburst'. The problem is elsewhere. What are the correct values for
> > 'rate' and 'ceil' of 11:2 class in this case? In fact, total value of
> > 'ceil's from all sub-classes exceeds 5000Kbit, so there are moments when
> > the bandwidth that comes from my ISP is bigger than guaranteed bandwidth.
> > Is there some kind a theory that says how to establish the values of
> > 'rate's and 'ceil's from the parent and its sub-classes?
> There are some rules : ceil of child <= ceil of parent, sum (child rates) <=
> rate of parent ....  You don't have to follow this rules, but the final
> shaping result can be strange.
> See the faq page on www.docum.org.

What would be nice is if you could document what happens when

     a) child ceil > parent ceil
     b) child rate > parent ceil
     c) child ceil > parent rate
     d) child rate > parent rate

How does this influence the shaping results and the shaping of other
classes? I've actually asked a similar question before: If you have

           1:1
           / \
         /     \
       1:2     1:3
       /|\       \------
     /  |  \       \     \
   1:4 1:5 1:6     1:7   1:8

if 1:7 and 1:8 respects the rate/ceil of 1:3 and 1:3 respects the rate/ceil
of 1:1, but 1:4 does not respect the rate/ceil of 1:2 and 1:2 respects the
rate/ceil of 1:1, does the shaping of 1:3 work as normal and only those
classes under 1:2 are adversely affected or not? from your previous answer,
it seems that the classes under 1:3 would not be affected, but I would love
to know why. what happens with 1:4 requests some bandwidth which 1:2 does
not have...

--

Regards
 Abraham

NEWARK has been REZONED!!  DES MOINES has been REZONED!!

 Abraham vd Merwe [ZR1BBQ] - Frogfoot Networks
 P.O. Box 3472, Matieland, Stellenbosch, 7602
 Cell: +27 82 565 4451 Http: http://www.frogfoot.net/
 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]