On Tuesday 25 February 2003 11:38, Dragan Zubac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is no options at all to 'shape' upload+download=fixed bandwidth
> without using IMQ virtual device ?
You can only control traffic that leaves an interface and you can't combine 2
interfaces.  But with the imq device, you can redirect whatever-you-want
traffic to the 1 device.  So you can redirect traffic that leaves eth0 and
eth1 to the same device, you can combine both interfaces.

> So if somebody is planning to give
> customer fixed bandwidth regarless if a customer is 'uploading' or
> 'downloading',he (or she:) MUST use IMQ virtual device ? Anybody did some
> tests of configuring same traffic shaping with and without using IMQ
> device ?
No.  But sometimes you need the imq device.

> How IMQ device (kernel) will behave on heavy load traffic
> (like VoIP,gaming,other 'real-time' traffic) comparing on mashine without
> using IMQ virtual device ?
Good.

> Does anybody did some test on using u32 filter and fw filter ? How does
> each one behave on same mashine,same kernel,same traffic shaping
> configuration ?
As long as you don't have more then 10^6 filter rules, you are fine :)  You
should be more worry about active classes.  I once created 5000 active
classes on a 486, 25Mhz, 8MB Ram and I was able to shape 10mbit without
remarkable delays.

Stef

--

[EMAIL PROTECTED]