Spencer wrote:
We have a Linux box that is acting as the gateway to the internet for about
400 people, typically there are not more then 50 of them using the internet
at any given time.  We would like to provide different levels of access to
different users.  For example 128kbps to some users and 256kbps to others.
We have considered creating a class and qdisc for each user (using htb)
however we don't know how much overhead creating 50-200 classes and
qdiscs would involve, would this put too much strain on the Linux box?  Is
it
better to create fewer classes and qdisc and assign multiple users to each?
I haven't been able to find any test on maximum effect number of qdiscs, but
it could be I have just been looking in the wrong place.  If any one has any
ideas or could point me in the right direction it would be greatly
appreciated.

I have P4 3.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM.
I have 3500 potential users (top load about 800 users, average 400). I have 3 interfaces (2 WAN + 1 LAN), so I have 10500 queues total (3500 on each interface).
The traffic is 24Mbit max, average 20Mbit.

Without u32 hashing my box run at 60-70% CPU utilization. After applying hashing the box is running with 25% top utilization, average 15%.

The two thing you must remember when running a box for many users:
* use iptables chains. I prefer chains of 30-40 entries.
* use u32 hashing.
This will greatly improve CPU utilization. About 500-1000% in my case.

Szymon Miotk