Hi, Radu

You simply cannot monitor a switch that is uncapable of monitoring.
It is as easy as that.
Nevertheless, you can fake the monitoring part by arping to the users
connected directly to that switch.
Arping, because is a layer2 app, goes beyond (or better yet, beneath) any
firewall. If a firewall blocks broadcast arp requests, then it will render
the machine network-less, so no firewall does that.

So, grab your linux box, and start arping!

P.S. Read the thread on mac and IP changing, I feel like we are in rather
the same position...