Dmytro O. Redchuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:24:13AM +0300, Radu CUGUT wrote:
>> I have an ethernet LAN, made over dumb fast-ethernet switches
>> (10/100mbit) without management, so there is no IP for the switches.
>>
>> What I want, if possible, is to find out if a switch is down or not.
[...]
>Plug two more cards into you linux box, connect them both to the switch,
>make them an interfaces of one bridge inside you linux box and bring up
>STP over there. I guess bridge should detect a loop quickly and block one
>port. Then you'll be able to monitor bridge's state.

        I suspect that the bonding driver would also do what you're
looking for.  Docs can be found at:

        http://sourceforge.net/projects/bonding

        It can either monitor the link state, or issue ARP probes (as
somebody else suggested) to check connectivity to a peer on the local
network.  Judging from my experience with managed switches, I suspect
that the bonding driver (in active-backup mode, for example) would
detect link failure faster than STP.

        -J

---
        -Jay Vosburgh, IBM Linux Technology Center, [EMAIL PROTECTED]