Daniel Lopes wrote:
> Ping a client you surely know should be connected to the switch. ARP
> will take the part to find out the hardware address so the packet can be
> delivered. If the switch is on it should find a hardware address and ARP
> should put it in your ARP cache. Itīs independet from ICMP blocks and
> similar. So after trying to ping you should have an entry in your ARP
> table which you can control with "arp" command.

It seems that I didn't make myself quite clear ...

I want to know if there is a way to find out if a switch is working ok or not.

If there is something like a small device, that I plug into the
switch, ant then if that device "reports in" ok, then I know the
switch is working.

Like on a router... if you want to know if a router is doing it's job,
than you send an ICMP echo request to a host on the other side of the
router.
ME ----> ROUTER -----> testing host

well, I want the same thing but on an inferior layer, on a switch.
ME -----> SWITCH ----> testing device

I want to know if thare can be such thing as a "testing device".

I thought of an ethernet card, that i plug in the switch, power the
card up, and then somehot arping the card, from witch I know the MAC.
... but i don't think it works  just like that :(.

Hope I was specific enough this time ....

Thanks for the (possible) answers.

Best regards,
Radu.

--