On 16-08-2006 14:50, Jacques Rompen wrote:
The 2 ips on every box wouldnt work because: Most people here are complete network newbies, we want to connect more then 8 computers (most people have a laptop and pc), we would only have a 20mbit internal network. Im a bit confused. In the 2.4 kernel there issent even an option ip_route_multipath_cached, only ip_route_multipath. Or am i mistaking here? If there issent, then I couldnt have put it to 'Y' so why didnt the random function work? In the 2.6 kernel there is a option ip_route_multipath and ip_route_multipath_cached. But if i dont say 'Y' to ip_route_multipatch_cached i cant say yes to round_robin, random_match etc. I thought i needed that option random_match set to 'y'. (im not sure if its exactly spelled like that, but i'm talking about the four or five sub options to ip_route_multipath_cached)

As far as I know multipath cached should work for routing output of a current box but it's not working for router (if something has not changed lately). Multipath without "cached" should do simple randomization, but maybe for the begining it would be better to assign fixed paths by source ip and save experimenting with multipaths for later.

Jarek P.