Hi!

I want to upgrade hardware on my router (iptables, htb, >1000 users). Now it is
based on usual desktop PC (Intel Prescott P4 3.00 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM). The reason of hardware upgrade is growing up number of users, also we are planning to increase upstream link from 100 Mbit/s to 1 Gbit/s. Iptables rules are now optimized with ipset tool, for tc I'm using hash tables as well. So I didn't know how to increase performance of my router without hardware upgrade...

I’d appreciate if someone gives me advice – what system shows the best performance:

1) Server based router (with dual core Xeon CPU)
2) Desktop based router (with newest Intel Core 2 Duo CPU)
3) what about AMD (I have no personal experience with them)?

As I know, 64-bit architecture in router specific tasks doesn’t give any performance boost? Maybe there are some other nuances that I need to know (kernel hacking, hardware hints)?

I’m going to use standard Intel E1000 NIC for 1 Gbit/s speed line, is it a good choice?

Thank in advance!