Hi there,

> I used a SunFire x2100 which has 2 Ghz Opteron and PCI-Xpress slot
> into which I plugged in a dual port gigE Intel PCI-Xpress card.

What was the software configuration of this host? What kernel
have you used for the test (compiled for x86 or amd64; dual-core
aware sheduler or not).

Out of the curiosity ... dual port nic generates one interrupt or two
per port? I asume the first is more probable. This leads to another
question - has interrupt been balanced between cores?

> Got a raw forwarding performance of 800Kpps for 64B packets. This
> beat a CISCO 3845 which gave 600Kpps.

Thanks for the input :).

Right now my production border router (BGP+some firewall rules+some QoS,
vlans @ P4 3GHz Linux 2.6, 2xBroadcom PCI-X, 1xIntel E1000 PCI-X) is 91%
saturated (CPU) at peek hours and during the time it forwards 344,8Kpps
with avg. packet sized 69 bytes.

I'll try to determine raw forwarding performance when box goes out
of production env, so we'll have a clear comparison picture.

regards,
--
Marek Kierdelewicz
Kierownik Dzia?u Systemów Sieciowych, KoBa