"E. Blasberg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm going to assume that the answer is "no" (at least if one is not
>using LabVIEW Real-time), but does anyone know if it's possible to
>set a delay time of less than 1 millisecond?
>
>Here's the problem: we set a switch (using a DIO card), wait n
>MICROseconds (called the Switch Settling Time) and then trigger a
>Receiver to measure a value.
>
>Currently this is done in C++.  Naturally I'd like to be able to say
>that LabVIEW can "do you anything you can do better".  Sadly, I think
>this time I can't.

If you have an E series or similar MIO DAQ board I would actually
connect the digital output through RTSI or externally to a counter
and program the counter to generate the needed pulse! This will
always work and to implement it, actually be easier in LabVIEW
than in C.

Claiming that you can to a more or less exact delay of sub ms delay
in C is misleading anyhow. It may seem to work most of the time but
unless done in a device driver or similar way, Windows can suspend
your thread or process at any time for 10's of ms and sometimes even
more, letting you miss your sub ms resolution by several magnitudes.

Rolf Kalbermatter
CIT Engineering Nederland BV    tel: +31 (070) 415 9190
Treubstraat 7H                           fax: +31 (070) 415 9191
2288 EG Rijswijk        http://www.citengineering.com
Netherlands             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]