Mark,

You wrote:

... I use string driven
state machines instead of enum type defs when I want to create a scriptable
state machine.  That is, the state sequence is driven by a text file that
has information about what order the states are executed.  This means the
test sequence can be modified in the field using any text editor...

The OpenG toolkit has a "Set Enum String Value" VI that would allow a text script to run an enum-based sate machine. I didn't know about the OpenG VI when I first needed this capability so I built a "Set Enum with String" VI that works with control references. If you'd like that, just let me know.

--
        EnWirementally,
        Paul F. Sullivan

        SULLutions              (781)769-6869
        "when a single discipline is not enough"

visit http://www.SULLutions.com