We have the same problem with the local cable company. We have a small
network on a cable modem and people can not connect into our network
from outside. When I asked the cable company about it, they told me
that their firewall prevents that, but if I wanted to purchase the
business package then they would open the firewall for others to
connect to our system.

You really need to talk to your provider to see if they will allow
this. Tell them that you are testing to see whether it would be
worthwhile to set up a "business system".

     Rob