The only way to get meaningful phase is to start your acquisition at the
same phase for every segment.  An example of this would be an encoder
pulse.  If each acquisition starts at a once per rev pulse from the
encoder, they will all have the same phase components.  Another
possibility is doing order tracking, where there is a fixed number of
samples per revolution.  If you shift your window by the number of
samples per revolution, you will get the same phase again.

Any time you have a steady stream of data with no reference point, the
phase data is essentially useless.  If it is a repeating signal you
should be able to identify a reference point.  I suppose if you don't
have a hardware signal, you could use convolution to identify repeating
cycles of data.  If phase is important, you should have a reference
signal.

Bruce

Bruce Ammons
Ammons Engineering