Hi folks,

I know the "overlapping average" technology from signal analysers. In those
cases I used them up to now, phase was not relevant. Now I have an idea
about a different use where phase would be important. Scott's comment that
phase would be meaningless if overlapping averaging is used is making me
thinking.

What about this:
1. Cut the long waveform stream into a number of (overlapping) pieces.
2. Use the FFT vi for each piece, which will produce amplitudes and phases
for each frequency bin.
3. Average apmlitude and phase for each frequency bin separately.

Would this create meaningful phase?
I would guess yes, as all pieces were acquired in a consistant stream of
data originally.

Seems that my mathematical understanding does not reach far enough to
understand this completely.

Cheers

Gerd