I'm a ChemE student working on automating a polymer extrusion line
using a Siemens TI 555 plc.  We are using LabView and I have been
searching for a driver for our plc for a while with no luck, so I
think I will have to use the OPC server, which, according to this
site, has a driver on the CD for the siemens 500 series plc's.

My question is, how does the OPC server work?  Is it simply software
that I install onto the pc or is it a separate piece of hardware?  Is
there anything I should know about, or be careful of, before I
continue?

At the moment, I am really pretty confused about how all this comes
together, so any help or points in the right directions are
appreciated!