Hi m_a_b,

First I suggest you re-post this Q to the LabVIEW DSC discussion
forum. LV DSC (Data-Logging and Supervisory Control).

Your OPC server will generally be a seperate software app that will
run on your PC that you will have to configure to do what you need.
The specifics of configuring I will not go into now. You will have
configure the OPC server to let it know how to get at the PLC and what
registers (coils?) you want to access, how often, and if read, write
or both access is required.

Now on the topic of "get at the PLC"
I can't recite details so check me on the following.
Your PLC will dictate the commnications medium and protocol you will
use. I would guess ethernet or S7. Ehternet is straight forward. S7 is
supprted by NI when last I checked.

Once your OPC server is up and running, you can then use DataSockets
to read from or write to whatever you configured in the OPC server,
and use it in your LV app.

If you plan to devlop an app that will scale well to more than 100 I/O
points (i.e. datasockets) then I suggest you include LV-DSC in your
application developement plans.

LV-DSC will let you configure "Tags" which are just I/O points. They
can be control registers in PLC's, DAQ or DIO.... in the LC-DSC tag
Engine. Configuring just amounts to navigating till you find the I/O
point yu are after. The Tag Engine does all of the work of monitoring
the tag and doing all of the dirty work in you behalf. And it does it
well!

If you skip DSC and try to scale a datasocket based app, your CPU and
network demands will scale linearly with the number of datasockets
because each data socket operation is distict from each other and
handled seperately. If DSC is used, the I/O's are batched and
performance is optimized.

As I mentioned up front, re-post to the DSC group, that where the PLC
frequent flyers are.

I hope this gets you started.

Ben

<a