> }... units in LV is a unique experiment unlike what I've seen
> }in other programming languages or engineering tools.  It works
> }incredibly well and efficiently for most things, but ...
>
> Bugs or no bugs, units has been a God-send to me, flagging my
> attempts to get a force by multiplying a mass and a velocity, for
> instance.
>
> The young'uns figure they'd never make such a stupid mistake but us
> old codgers know we need all the protection we can get. And only
> LabVIEW provides this one. Thanks, NI.

I guess that means there are very few young'uns out there.  I agree that
units is a cool tool.  It takes a strict view of units, the way most of
us were trained to use them, and forces us to use them consistently.
Unfortunately, there are those apps that don't need/want this because
they can be hooked to different sensors or mix data within a 2D array or
some such thing, and they need a more dynamic system.

Internally, we have made some progress on a system that will handle
both, and keep hoping to find the TIME to work on it, but as with any of
these features that people rely on, the validation time alone is pretty
huge, not to mention that units run throughout execution and UI, touch
typedefs, etc.

And that is why I used this as an example of a bastion of bugs that are
better off left cornered and documented until we can rearchitect the
thing to try and resolve big problems and squash the slippery ones that
seem to linger from release to release as if NI weren't interested in
fixing them.  If some poor fool were to run into that corner with a can
of bug spray, they might kill one or two, but most of the bugs would
just relocate to new parts of the LV building, and then the chore would
be finding them again and figuring out how to work around them.

Anyway, I personally think units are cool, and when they are
rearchitected, I hope they can deal with significant figures as well
since they we were all trained to treat them the same, at the same time
in the process.  Then we might end up with a few additional probes
making it to Mars, or spending less time and gray hairs on the ones that
do.

Greg McKaskle