At 7:31 PM -0800 3/8/04, C. Allen Weekley wrote:
>Yes.  My company manufactures a variety of instruments that communicate
>solely with serial.  We have been using NI-VISA and are happy with it,
>but NI-VISA requires an installation that is often larger than the
>application we supply to our customers, and there are licensing
>restrictions for distribution. I was hoping to develop our own serial
>functions in a much smaller package than NI-VISA.  This is why I am
>interested in using the Windows API.  NI-VISA with its support for so
>many kinds of instruments seems like overkill for our application.  When
>the customer installs the NI-VISA driver they end up installing features
>to support GPIB etc. that are not needed for our application.

Yes this is a problem.  But you are also throwing out support for any other platform!

I suggest you bring up these problems with VISA to your NI contacts.  Feedback is
important!  The licensing fee for VISA is supposed to be small (we had a discussion
about that here awhile ago).  But the libraries can add a lot of size to an
application!  But then again, so does the LV runtime engine!

-Scott