From: Rolf Kalbermatter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 09, 2004 1:28 AM
To: 'C. Allen Weekley'
Cc: Info LabVIEW (E-mail)
Subject: RE: API Serial Functions

"C. Allen Weekley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Yes.  My company manufactures a variety of instruments that communicate

>solely with serial.  We have been using NI-VISA and are happy with it,
>but NI-VISA requires an installation that is often larger than the
>application we supply to our customers, and there are licensing
>restrictions for distribution. I was hoping to develop our own serial
>functions in a much smaller package than NI-VISA.  This is why I am
>interested in using the Windows API.  NI-VISA with its support for so
>many kinds of instruments seems like overkill for our application. When

>the customer installs the NI-VISA driver they end up installing
>features to support GPIB etc. that are not needed for our application.

Well, I see. Just forget about my previous mail then, will you. I have
started some work on a VISA32.DLL replacement which I intend to release
as Open-G VISA library. It is far from complete and I have only worked
on Windows yet but intend to actually push the Linux version more. It is
structured similar as NI-VISA with VISA32.DLL as top level API and low
level plugin DLLs which provide support for particular VISA resource
types.

The first I have started with is serial of course, but it is as I said
not functional at all yet. I still need some common infrastructure
libraries as well.

I was intending to get something working before putting it out, but it
is geoing slow and it will take quite some time before I get there. If
you would be interested in working on that as well I could create an
Open-G subproject and put up what I have so far so that you could take a
look at it and work yourself on it as well.

Rolf Kalbermatter
CIT Engineering Nederland BV    tel: +31 (070) 415 9190
Treubstraat 7H                  fax: +31 (070) 415 9191
2288 EG Rijswijk        http://www.citengineering.com
Netherlands             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]