I wanted to add a quick note to what Mads had mentioned.

If you are using LabVIEW 7.0 then you can use the I/O Assistant, which
will help you get the communication up and running quickly.  In
addition it helps you parse out the results, and when you are all done
it will generate LABVIWE code for you.

Another place to check is <a href=www.ni.com/idnet> Instrument Driver
Network</a>.  That web page has thousands of instrument drivers for
specific instruments.  So your instrument may already have VIs written
for it that can help you get started with the communication.

I would suggest looking at the Assistant along with the manual for you
instrument.

Evan
National Instruments