Thanks for the suggestions.  I was wondering if there was a way to
tell if the counter/timer was in a state where the the pulse
configuration could be safely changed?

There are several examples of coordinating the AI and AO clocks so
that the AO can be updated with out conflicts.  But when I try the
same thing with AI clock and counter/timer clock in an attemp to synch
up the operations, but the same 10609 error occurs.  I've searched the
doc's and haven't found anything to detect when the counter/timer is
"busy".  Do you have any ideas for this approach?

Rich