Application is time correlated single photon counting to measure
nanosecond fluorescent lifetimes.  A laser pulse generates a start
pulse.  The first photon emitted from the sample generates a stop
pulse.  The time difference is converted to a voltage pulse (0 to
+10V), 2 usec duration (I could extend that with an external
sample/hold) by a time-to-amplitude converter.  The overall lifetime
of the sample is constructed by repeating this at least tens of
thousands of times.  For each laser shot, the voltage pulse is
digitized and its binary code summed into a histogram bin.  A plot is
made of number of occurances vs adc binary code value.  At least 12
bits of resolution is desired.  The pulses to be digitized occur
randomly in time at least 10 usec apart  (maybe 100 usec).

For accurate data, the width of each histogram bin should be equal.  I
test this by making a histogram from a triangle wave.  The number of
occurances vs raw adc counts should be flat.  Instead, it exhibits
variations of 20%  (equivalent to 0.2 lsb of dnl).

So what I'd like is an adc with bin widths equal to say 1% that can
digitize a voltage within 10 usec.  Its type should not really matter
as long as it can accomplish this.

A 20% deviation in adc bin width seems like a high value for something
electronic in nature ike this.  What is it that makes this not
typically so, since most adc's has 0.2 lsb DNL specs ?