>IT IS A FACT that if I do the same experiment with 16 or 18  (or any
other, I suppose) size font, the font point size does not change, and
thus becomes misaligned (and ugly, IMO).

I guess this is with the default Arial font? Many fonts in Windows are
not fully scalable, so that is an additional problem. Even if you ask
the Windows API to scale a font to some particular size it may decide
to refuse to do that and there is usually no good explanation from the
API for that, nor a meaningful error.
It's almost impossible to try to be smarter than the API you are using
and the alternative would be to license a complete Adobe True Type
manager font engine and built it into LabVIEW, and create other
problems as the LabVIEW fonts may then be nicer but not anymore
behaving like other Windows applications. Not to speak about the
problem for a company like NI trying to deal  with a technology on
their own, many other and more specialized companies have miserably
failt at already.

Rolf K