Does Mitutoyo have a sample communication program that you can run on
your computer to test cabling, etc?? It may not give you the specific
data that you want, but knowing that you can talk to it will eliminate
many questions. The instrument assistant express vi's might be a good
place to start, but I am not sure they exist in the student edition. I
have used the Visa functions to read data and control a YOKOGAWA DL708
oscilloscope. I downloaded the driver and added a few commands for my
application. You will need a detailed manual that lists commands that
you can execute and the expected results.