From: Craig Graham [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2004 08:39
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Labview, Linux and databases

I don't yet know what DBMS will be used, so I'm going down the ODBC route.
Certainly ODBC adds overhead, but for the volumes of data involved the
flexibility outweighs any performance issues at the moment. I don't even
know what platform(s) are going to be used at this stage- I'm having a play
with Linux to see how feasible it is to use this.

I don't agree that ODBC is a last resort thing; one of our clients is a big
aerospace manufacturer and they insist on ODBC to simplify infrastructure
changes. It's always a tradeoff between flexibility and performance, and
having had to become used to it for that project it's now my interface of
choice whenever apps need to be glued to databases. I've just never done it
on Linux before and didn't know it even HAD ODBC implimentations.

--
Dr. Craig Graham, Software Engineer
Advanced Analysis and Integration Limited, UK. http://www.aail.co.uk/