George,

Yes this is possible, check out this thread on LAVA:

http://forums.lavausergroup.org/index.php?showtopic=307

It has an example of dynamic generation of refnum (but it can be cluster).

Note: The target VI (where you generate the cluster) has to be idle (not running).

PJM

"George Gatling (Contractor)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I have an file format that lets me store nearly arbitrary (though not
nested) clusters in tabular (and binary) form... each column is an element
from the cluster, and each row is a complete cluster... so the whole table
is basically a cluster array. There is header information in this file
that completely describes the layout of the binary table, and this header
information is derived from the 'type string' information provided for each
labview data type. So, by reading this header information, I can
completely describe the type of the cluster represented by the binary table.

Now, I know I have some runtime limitations, but my question is aimed at
the editing environment. Is there a way to build a cluster using the VI
server? I imagine the executing VI creating a new VI and then performing
operations on it that can only be done in edit mode (like define a
cluster). The idea being that if someone gave me on of these files, I
could use this tool to build the cluster and then in a second pass, use
that cluster to read the file.

I suppose this question is not far removed from the past conversations
about VI scripting, but at least this is only a subset of that whole
idea. Anyone know if this is possible?

George Gatling
Applied Technology Division, SFA Inc.
Space Physics Simulation Chamber
US Naval Research Laboratory
202-404-5405 (phone)
202-767-3553 (fax)

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down?
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. --Jack Handy

Do you Yahoo!?