"Ross, Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>As a list administrator for a small specialized mailing list and a
>participant in Info-LabVIEW I have some opinions on this topic.
>
>This list has never been commmercial content free, but commercial
>mailings are expected to be kept inobtrusive and brief.  That seems to
>work and who am I to argue.

Just my two cents here. From the original post I got the impression
that the poster had previous contacts with this person, as an answer
to some question he had put on Info-LabVIEW. At that time the mailing
was appearently appreciated or at least no hard feelings were present.

If that is really the case (and I really don't know if my impression
is right) then what has been happening was that the advertiser appaerently
kept the posters address in his address book and later on sent again
some marketing mailing out to these addresses, maybe not really related
to the original inquiry.

As such the whole issue would be a little bit unclear. I for myself
probably wouldn't think to good about such an advertiser but on the
other hand I certainly wouldn't report him as a spammer to blocklists
either and most probably just delete the mail without thinking much
further. If I however receive a mailing out of the blue, it would
almost certainly be reported to the blocklists I use and maybe even
manually reported to its ISP and then disposed off.

Rolf Kalbermatter
CIT Engineering Nederland BV    tel: +31 (070) 415 9190
Treubstraat 7H                  fax: +31 (070) 415 9191
2288 EG Rijswijk        http://www.citengineering.com
Netherlands             mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]