OK, I don't have a VI to show, but I couldn't help passing this on as GBnU.
One of my co-workers is a part-time LV programmer. He will have me look at
his code when he is done. About a year ago he wrote (yet another) program
that relied heavily on global variables. Not just for passing data between
VIs, but also to get data from one side of his multi-screen diagrams to the
other side. Of course, I told him global variables are hardly ever the
correct way to do things. I assumed he would wire things directly. I
couldn't help but laugh when I saw his solution. Everywhere he had had a
global write was replaced with an indicator and everywhere he had a global
read was changed to a control. Then he created a DataSocket connection for
each control and indicator to pass data between them! Finally he hid all the
controls and indicators to clean up the mess he made on the front panel.