On 2017-09-20 21:19, Mattias Gaertner via Lazarus wrote:
On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:38:23 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt via Lazarus <lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

[...]
Currently not, I think.
All the more reason to move everything to FCL in a unified codebase.
+1
Or use your suggestion and use something like

Type
{$IFDEF XMLUTF8}
   XMLString = UTF8String;
{$ELSE}
   XMLString = unicodestring;
{$ENDIF}

should do the job. I will have a look at this; the only thing that must
then be properly checked is the actual reading and writing...
The laz2_dom has some options for keeping the spaces
(indentation). Don't know if this was already backported to the
original xmlreader/writer.

Mattias

Please, please consider the fact that the FCL counterpart require (or at least used to) a widestring manager! This was not the case with Laz2_DOM, etc... and hence the sole reason why we a using these units and not the FCL ones!

Just my 2 cents....

Kind regards,
Torsten.