Am 04.01.19 um 14:01 schrieb Giuliano Colla via lazarus:
But you must pick up a good distro, within the distro select a stable and tested version (the latest version is always a lottery), and select a good Desktop.

If there had been one (seems Ubuntu and derivatives removed hibernation (!!, remember, we are in 2018, not 1998) in 18.04, I didn't ask about this feature.

As far as Lazarus is concerned, everything relevant is saved each time you compile (or attempt to compile) your application. Just hit F9 and you're done.

Well, when working on the compiler, I often do not compile for hours, but meanwhile I found the AutoSave package for Lazarus which prevents at least the worst case scenarios.

You may easily check and tune your behaviour:

It is also about X crashes and so on (and I do not like to adapt my behavior :)).