On Fri, 27 Mar 2020, Anthony Walter wrote:

Michael,

I've been using the Linux desktop as my primary OS since 2006. I had
dabbled in in before, but typically went back to windows when my networking
had troubles.

That said, I want Linux to be better. Yes I understand your points, but
please understand even when you choose an environment like Gnome vs KDE,
even they break things or don't provide all the tools you need. that is
the frustrating part, when an environment either breaks something like tray
icons or provides little to no assistance in completing some requirement,
such as hit testing a window for transparent pixels, or registering a
global hotkey.

I understand it is frustrating, and I'm not trying to minimize this.

But I see it as an inescapable consequence of not having central "management".

If you want Linux to be better:
In order for the linux desktop to become better, I think the only approach is
to have a
strictly centralized "management".

As I see it, the linux kernel has such strict management (or at least
stricter), and it thrives.

The first thing this strict management should enforce is:
backwards compatibility must be high in the list of standards to adhere to.

A reasonably vanilla application built on Windows 95 will still run today. I doubt many linux applications built in - say - 1997 will pass that test.

The whole delphi VCL counts on this backwards compatibility. In an Apple world, embarcadero would have bancrupted quickly, I suppose :(

In this sense, Lazarus does a good job: it provides this backwards
compatibility across platforms, if you stick to the LCL.

I open a lot of projects from 10 years ago for the upcoming Lazarus book: they still compile and work :-)

Michael.