On Mon, 13 Apr 2020, Balázs Székely via lazarus wrote:

Hi Michael,

I tried to install a package using the package manager (Brook framework).
The package manager tells me the compile failed.
How can I see what the actual error is ?

The Message Window is not obscured by OPM, usually I check the error
messages there.

Duh ! I should have checked that... The message window was obscured in my case. Damn this docked IDE, I can't get used to it ;-)

Ideally you shouldn't see any error messages :), however there are too many
Lazarus/FPC version/widgetsets. I cannot check each package on every single
platform. This should be the package maintainers job.
In Lazarus trunk there is a small improvement though, if a package is not
tested against a specific widgetset/Laz/FPC version, OPM will warn you,
that the package compile might fail.

OK, seems like a good idea.

BTW, the message was not meant to point out that there is a broken package.
I understand perfectly you cannot check every possible package out there.
I simply didn't see the messages window.

for completeness sake, here is the actual error:

brookfclfcgibroker.pas(23,12) Fatal: Cannot find CustFCGI used by
BrookFCLFCGIBroker of package BrookRT.

Or must I open the package manually, compile manually to see the error ?
If so, why isn't there a 'open this package' entry in the list of packages
?

This is a good idea, I can add an "open this package" entry.

Yes, please. That would be really handy ! See below.

have no easy way of locating the package.
In the options, I found where the OLPM downloads the packages,
but to get there on a mac involves an insane amount of clicking,
provided I managed to remember the location where the package is supposed
be...

Please click the "Local Repo" button(see attachment) , it will open a file
manager window with the folder where the packages are installed.

Yes, I did that before mailing.

But when I open a package in this dialog, it shows me an empty file list :(

So, in order to open the package, I must then
* remember the location
* close this dialog and go to the 'open package file' dialog in the package
menu.
* Browse to home directory.
* Enable showing hidden files with Cmd-Shift-Period to be able to select the
.lazarus
directory (this is Mac!)
* Continue to correct directory
* Open package file.
And then I see the correct file list in the package...

Now you will understand why I think the 'open this package' entry is a good
idea ;-)

Thanks for looking at this :-)

Michael.