On Sat, 4 Jul 2020, Special via lazarus wrote:

Am 03.07.2020 um 16:13 schrieb Martin Frb via lazarus:
On 03/07/2020 14:55, Péter Gábor via lazarus wrote:
Hi!

Then you must allow Cyrillic,d Arabic and so Chinese and other national
and special characters to be used in identifiers.
Worse, the same source may then compile or fail to compile depending on the locale.

Pascal is case insensitive.
var I: integer; // upper i
for i := 0 to x do ...;

compiles today.

But when compiling, using Turkish locale, this would fail.
In Turkish there is a dotted and a dotless i, both upper and lower.
So I and i are different letters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I

Hi,

if Lazarus had an option "Allow accented Latin characters and Umlauts in identifiers", then Cyrillic, Arabic and Chinese and other special national charcters and dotted characters like the Turkish "I." were not included ('Dotted' is not 'Accented').  So we could enjoy the benefits of this proposal without the drawbacks.

Sorry, I don't think this is right.

Why should Russian, Chinese or Arabic or any non-latin alphabet students be disadvantaged compared to western students ?

Either you allow them all (with all that implies) or none (as it is now).

Michael.