On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 20:08:14 +0100 (CET), Michael Van Canneyt via
lazarus <lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Nov 2020, Bo Berglund via lazarus wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 08:43:00 +0100 (CET), Michael Van Canneyt via
>> lazarus <lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to change the default project generated when the IDE starts ?
>>
>> Why is Lazarus creating an empty project on startup in the first
>> place?
>
>Because it needs a project. It cannot work without one, so it creates one.
>
>So if the hypothetical option -np would be implemented, you would definitely be
>presented with the same 'project wizard' dialog you get when you close the
>project
>with "Project - Close Project".

OK, so if the last project opened is seriously flawed (for this
Lazarus) and crashes Lazarus, how can one ever remedy that?

In my case it has happened when I open an existing project in a new
Lazarus installation without realizing that not all packages have been
installed into Lazarus.
Then it crashes and now I have no way to start Lazarus without it also
opening the project that causes the crash. Eternal loop...

So I cannot even get the access needed to install the needed
package(s) (in this case it would be a package that requires a Lazarus
rebuild)...

It makes no sense to me to not at least (with a start argument?) be
able to start Lazarus with a default project rather than the last
loaded project which always crashes Lazarus.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden