On 2021/06/24 14:52, Chavoux Luyt via lazarus wrote:

Questions:

 1. Is it possible to write a 3D desktop environment (with similar
    functionality to KDE/Gnome) in Lazarus?
 2. Is Lazarus a good tool for writing such a desktop environment?
    Why/why not?
 3. Are there better alternatives that can use OpenGL (or a game
    engine using OpenGL) that can be used for writing such a Desktop
    Environment (if Lazarus is not a good tool)?
 4. I have installed (but never used) Castle Game Engine (using
    aptitude... but I don't see it in Lazarus). Does anyone here have
    experience using it? Could it be used as the basis of writing a 3D
    "desktop environment"?
 5. Is there anybody on the list that would be interested in helping
    to write this as a new type of user OS GUI for Linux? Maybe as the
    startĀ of a future GSoC project?

It's certainly possible.

I used to play with this long ago when they made a 3D desktop on WIndows 98 still - was called 3DNA and the link below here is a recent review of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-0WZJrISYc

It looks simplistic by today's standards but it was much better than wat the 3D bob thing on the windows store tries to do (which I also tried and hated). You may get a good few ideas for how a 3D space could be less finicky and more useable.

Unfortunately my hands are a bit full to devote much time to it, but wouldn't mind chipping in some and most certainly would be a user/tester.

Good luck with it!