I have done this before using xvnc on a ubuntu server. Xvnc is an X server as
far as the server is concerned. You will need a desktop environment such as
Mate or KDE on top of it. Lazarus apps work fine. By default, they are linked
into the gtk2 libs and you will to have them installed as well. If I recall
correctly, xvnc is run under xinetd. The tricky bit is the login prompt. I
ended up using xdm. Basic, but does the job. It seems to me .... that the
advance of civilization is nothing but an exercise in the limiting of
privacy.Isaac Azimov, Foundation's Edge (1982).
-------- Original message --------From: Bo Berglund via lazarus
<lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org> Date: 20/11/2021  23:02  (GMT+00:00) To:
lazarus@lists.lazarus-ide.org Cc: Bo Berglund <bo.bergl...@gmail.com> Subject:
[Lazarus] Lazarus on Linux, which desktop environment? I have been using
Lazarus/FPC for a long time on Windows and also on RaspberryPi Linux.I also
have two laptops on which I run Ubuntu Mate 20.04.3, where I haveinstalled
Lazarus and FPC.That all works OK.But now I would like to put Lazarus/FPC on a
dedicated Ubuntu *Server* 20.04.3so I don't have to run the two laptops to
access Lazarus.And this brings me to my question:I have understood that Lazarus
behaves differently depending on the desktopenvironment on Linux, and at the
same time I have  great problems with usingwhat comes with stock Ubuntu 20...So
I want to get something that is working like Mint and still able to
createapplications that will run on stock Ubuntu.And the desktop environment I
have to install should be light weight too, nooffice or video applications etc.
Just basic tools for handling the system likeGParted etc.I will access the
desktop over the network using RealVNC on my Windows10 PC, soI have to install
TigerVNC into the server after the desktop environment is inplace.What should I
install?Will KDE work?Or does in not matter for Lazarus?-- Bo BerglundDeveloper