Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

Does anybody else excluding Paul know what negative fonts sizes mean?
I admit a little explenation would help since it is not so trivial.
A positive fontsize is the size of a font in points
A negative fontsize is the size of a font in points including the internal leading at the top of the line For fontheights it is the opposite since the height and size are related like:
 fontsize = -fontheight * 72/pixelsperinch

This seems not to be a general concept (Windows only?).

This is how it is defined in delphi. Lazarus tries to be compatible with that.

While searching for negative font sizes on the web I found this:

http://cfsearching.blogspot.com/2008/03/imagedrawtext-negative-font-sizes-give.html

which shows a completely different effect when using negative font sizes.

Iirc Iv'e seen this on carbon too, but thats not realy relevant for lazarus.

Marc