On Sun, Oct 04, 2009 at 10:07:04AM +0200, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> 2009/10/2 Marco van de Voort <mar...@stack.nl>:
> >
> > MS' help compiler is probably a lot faster too, this is the own lib.
>
> I did not look at 'lhelp' code yet. Do you guys have your own CHM
> reader library, or do you use a publicly available library like
> libchm.so?

own reader and writer.

> > As 50 competing wiki formats, non of which really work.
>
> As far as I know there is just one INF (IPF) tag format.

Well, it is similar in the sense that the average developer has to learn it,
contrary to basic HTML.

> >> I heard many objects about that. Of one, other platforms have all
> >> there class and api help in different (non CHM) formats, so they will
> >> not be able to integrate that with the IDE.
> >
> > Sure, just convert.
>
> So are you going to write INF -> CHM converter too?
> Or any of the other formats FP IDE supports?

No. _I'm_ not interested in INF. The only one I'm considering doing myself
is TPH, because of the turbo vision help.

> I just think dropping that support is silly.

I think that reforming the help and doing all work 10 fold for helpsystems
that to my knowledge are only used on paper (no bugreports in 10 years) is
insane. It is not even known if they are still in working order.

Currently, the pluriformity only is worth a lot on paper, and nothing in
practice.

> The hard work has already been
> done, and the help works in the FP IDE. So simply extend it to fulfill
> your CHM needs - no need to drop all other formats.

It is about redoing the core part, IOW all backends have to be revised, and
some way to map them on the functionality has to be found.

The current readers can be converted with way less work to a <format>2chm
file, than refitting them to a new abstraction.